Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Checking on Ralph

I found out I was in Texas. That's kind of random.

So I got a flight back to L.A. I'm home now. I feel I need to take some time to get my thoughts and feelings together before I do something I'll regret later.

After I freshened up and composed myself, I went to visit Ralph in the hospital. To my surprise, he was up and walking around,  and he was mumbling to himself. He didn't seem to notice my presence.

As I got closer, I heard that he was saying things like, "You have to let me in" and "Let us infuse your life with something special!"

I recognized the latter as the slogan of that Illumination drink and its manufacturer.


When he saw me, he straightened up. "Hello," he said in a hoarse voice.

"Hello," I answered.

"So how's everyone? How's Lina doing?"

I was silent a moment, trying my best to keep back the tears. I think my voice cracked a bit anyway.

"She--she's fine," I said. "Everyone's fine."

I couldn't bear to look him in the eyes.

"They're home waiting for you to get better!" I smiled a false smile.

He had hope on his face. "I can't wait to get married. I'll be with that beautiful babe for the rest of my life." He closed his eyes, imagining the future. "We'll be together. We'll have beautiful children. Lots of 'em. My kids'll overrun the world!" He chuckled.

I could only nod. He must have noticed the sadness in my eyes on the verge of tears, because he looked more grave again.

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing," I said. "Just happy that you'll be better again in time for the wedding."

Beaming, he said, "I am too. Just so long as the wedding doesn't turn out to be a hallucination."

Self-deprecation. That was the Ralph I know.

We shook hands and I was about to go.

Then something changed in his eyes.

Before I could do anything, he lunged at me, screaming, "Can you hear the music?! It's coming! The music is coming!" Several nurses had to peel him off me.

I fled from there as fast as I could.

No comments:

Post a Comment